The Leader caught up with new Dragons recruit and hooker Cameron McInnes, 22, to hear how he is settling in ahead of the 2017 season. McInnes joins the team on a two-year deal from the Rabbitohs, following 39 first-grade games with his old club.
- How long have you been with the team?
We are in our fourth week of pre-season now, so I started with the team on November 7.
- What is your aim during your first year at the club, would you like to make the hooker role you own?
That’s the aim. I have to put my best foot forward during pre-season and in the trial matches, but there is an opening there, so I’d love to make it my own.
- Who was your favourite hooker you enjoyed watching growing up?
When I was a bit younger I enjoyed watching Craig Wing and Danny Buderus. I also got to play behind Issac Luke at the Bunnies and learned a lot from him, and of course Cameron Smith is the bench mark in that position.
- Who were you most looking forward to playing alongside at the Dragons?
There is a lot of good players here like Josh Dugan, Tyson Frizell and Jason Nightingale. So I was looking forward to playing alongside those international guys, and a lot of the younger guys as well. I have played against Nene Macdonald a few times, coming up through the same age groups, so it will be good to play alongside him.
- Have you copped it from your new team mates, having come over from rivals the Rabbitohs?
Not really. That’s just the nature of footy now, everyone comes from all over.
- Who is the biggest character you’ve met so far at the Dragons?
Probably Jake Marketo and Russell Packer. Russell Packer is definitely the jokester around the club. So, yeah, probably those two.
- What do you like doing in your spare time?
Not a lot. I just moved down to Wollongong with my girlfriend, so we are settling in. We have a puppy that keeps us busy.
- You debuted against the Dragons in 2014, playing for South Sydney, what do you remember from that game at the Sydney Cricket Ground?
It was an amazing experience being my first-grade debut. And playing at the SCG was special. I think every time I have played against the Dragons it has always been a really tough match, because they are so physical and always very fit.