Villeroy & Boch share their recipe on how to make ginger snaps, perfect for creating seasonal aromas:
300g sugar, 200g butter, 0.15 l cream, 0.15 l dark syrup, 1 Tbsp ground ginger, 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon, ½ Tbsp ground cloves, ½ Tbsp ground cardamom, 1 Tbsp bicarbonate (sodium bicarbonate), baking soda if necessary), 1 kg flour.
- Slowly melt the butter in a pot with the sugar and transfer into a mixing bowl. Add spices and syrup, then mix together with a mixer.
- Beat the cream until half hardened and add to mixing bowl.
- Add the baking soda to half of the flour and add to the butter mixture, gradually mix in the rest of the flour.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface and wrap in plastic foil or place it back in the bowl and cover.
- Leave the dough for a day in the refrigerator.
- Remove portions of the dough and roll thin. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out various festive shapes and lay on a greased baking paper and bake until golden.
- Leave until completely cooled. Store in a cool, dry place.
Christmas treats and ginger snaps can be accentuated with Villeroy & Boch’s bakeware collection featuring whimsical patterns in Winter Bakery Delight or Toy’s Delight.