The Anzac Centenary in 2015 commemorated not only the anniversary of Gallipoli but also Australian soldiers’ actions on the Western Front and Pozieres.
And in 2017 it is important to remember and commemorate many more battles that the Anzacs fought in during WW1, Cronulla RSL Sub-branch president Cory Rinaldi said.
“Some are more well known, some are forgotten in time,” he said.
“Battles such as Bullecourt, France April 11, 1917, where our brave Anzacs attacked without Artillery support to surprise the Germans, capturing two major trench lines, holding during heavy German counter attacks before being forced to retreat, suffering 3,300 casualties.
“Or the ‘Battle of Polygon Wood’, Belgium, September 26 to 27, 1917, which had 5,770 Australian casualties.
“Or the ‘Battle of Broodseinde Ridge’, Belgium, October 4, 1917, where once again our brave Anzacs took all their objectives along the ridge but at a cost of over 6,500 causalities.
“WW1 was a costly outcome for Australia, we lost over 67,000 killed or missing and 156,000 wounded.
“On Anzac Day we remember and commemorate all wars and conflicts that Australia has been involved in since 1860, where over 102,000 Australians have paid the ultimate sacrifice.
“It also is a day to spare a thought for all those families who have loved ones right now are serving our country on 10 separated Operation Deployments.
“So I will take the time this Anzac Day to think about all service personnel currently deployed across the globe.”
SHIRE ANZAC DAY SERVICES
- Dawn Service from 6am at the war memorial, Bundeena Reserve, followed by a traditional Anzac breakfast.
- Former and current service personnel march, depart from corner Kingsway and Denman Avenue at 4.20am for 4.30am Dawn Service at Memorial Park, corner Kingsway and Port Hacking Road South.
- The march departs from Cronulla RSL Club, Gerrale Street at 5.15am for the 5.30am dawn service at Munro Park.
- 5.30am Dawn Service in Engadine town square, opposite the club at 1029 Old Princes Highway, Engadine.
- Heathcote RSL Club will hold a 5.30am service.
- Depart Miranda RSL Memorial Club, Kingsway at 5.30am for a 5.40am Dawn Service at Miranda cenotaph, Seymour Shaw Park, Central Road.
- Depart United Services Club, East Parade, Sutherland at 5.15am for the 5.30am Dawn Service at Peace Park, Eton Street.
- Dawn Service outside RIVER RSL CLUB at 6am.
- Menai Memorial Club hosts the Dawn Service at 5.30am in Parc Menai, Allison Crescent, Menai.