St Mark’s Anglican Church will hold its traditional Anzac Commemorative Service on Sunday, April 23 at 15 The Mall, South Hurstville at 2pm.
The ecuumenical service is unique in that it is embraces not only the parish but the RSL and other communities, particularly the New Zealand RSL and the Australian Turkish community to represent all those who fought at Gallipoli, particularly at Anzac Cove.
The inclusion of the Turkish community was inspired by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk’s moving message to the mothers of Allied soldiers buried on Turkish soil.
In part, it reads, “Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in pace. After having lost their lives on this land, they have become our sons as well.”
Ataturk’s message will be read during the service which will also include a recitation of the Ode in Maori and English.
Anzac Day services to be held on Tuesday, April 25:
- The dawn service will commence at Mortdale Memorial Park at 6am followed by the Anzac Day dawn service breakfast at Mortdale RSL Community Club at 7am.
- Dawn Service at Club Rivers Memorial, Littleton Street, Riverwood 5.30am followed by a 9am march along Belmore Road, Riverwood and a 9.15am service at Club Rivers memorial. Retreat Cememony at 6pm.
- March from corner of Ramsgate Road and Campbell Street to Ramsgate RSL club for Anzac Day ceremony at 7am, followed by breakfast.
- SOUTH HURSTVILLE
- Dawn service at 6am at The Pinnacle, followed by a free breakfast at South Hurstville RSL Club and Two-up in the South lounge from noon to 5pm.
- 6am Dawn Service, followed by 7.30am breakfast at Bexley RSL Club.
- March from Shaw Street to the Kingsgrove RSL Club for 6.45am ceremony, followed by breakfast for members. Two-up will be played from noon.
- 6am Dawn Service at Arncliffe Park cenotaph followed by breakfast at Arncliffe RSL.
- 6am Dawn Service at Rockdale war memorial.
- 6am Dawn Service at Brighton-Le-Sands RSL Club followed by breakfast.
- Assemble at the rear of Kogarah RSL Club from 7am before joining the march at 7.15am down to the cenotaph in Kogarah Park on Jubilee Avenue starting 7.30am.