Sutherland Shire is having a three-day household chemical cleanout, starting tomorrow.
The collection will take place from Saturday to Monday (September 16-18) in the car park of the Bellingara Netball Centre at Miranda.
Hours are 9am to 3.30pm each day.
There is no cost and bookings are not required.
Two collections are held in the shire each year.
Residents from other areas can also deposit waste, just as shire residents can go to collections in other parts of Sydney throughout the year.
The Environment Protection Authority (EPA), in conjunction with Sutherland Shire Council, operates the collections, which are funded from the waste levy paid at tips.
Household quantities of the following materials will be accepted:
- Paint and paint related products
- Pesticides / herbicides
- Motor oils, fuels and fluids
- Batteries, household and car
- Gas bottles
- Fire extinguishers
- Pool chemicals
- Acids and alkalis
- Hobby chemicals
- Smoke alarms
- Solvents and household cleaners
- Ammonia based cleaners
- Fluorescent globes and tubes
There is a limit of 20 litres or 20 kilograms container size.
Transporting materials safely
EPA tips for safe storage and transportation:
- Ensure containers are clearly labelled and well-sealed. If you do not know the contents, label the container ‘UNKNOWN CHEMICAL’.
- Wherever possible keep all chemicals in their original containers.
- Never mix chemicals as this may produce dangerous reactions.
- Liquid can leak during transportation. Wrap old or damaged containers in newspaper, place in a sturdy plastic bag and then in a plastic container or tray.
- Keep household chemicals away from passengers e.g. in the boot.