Commission approves ‘upsizing’ of Kirrawee brick pit plan

UPDATE FRIDAY:

A NEW public park in the Kirrawee brick pit development will be built at the start of the $350 million project under conditions attached to the approval.

Payce, the company developing the property, had proposed completing the park at the end of the project.

Sutherland Shire Council, which successfully fought for the change, hopes to achieve some other community gains in further dealings with Payce.

The Planning Assessment Commission this week approved the developer’s concept plan modifications, which will increase the number of apartments from 432 to 749. 

A shopping centre and commercial offices will complete the project. Other conditions included that the design be revised to redistribute building heights and a voluntary planning agreement be entered into with the council to secure community benefits.

Sutherland Shire mayor Kent Johns said, while the council remained opposed to the project, it would work closely with the developer to get the best outcome for the community.

‘‘We hope to gain some other community spaces within the complex,’’ he said.

Councillor Johns said Oak Road and its intersection with Princes Highway, which was ‘‘already possibly the worst in the shire’’, would need major upgrading and he hoped the state government would help.

Payce general manager Dominic Sullivan said approval was ‘‘a major step forward in the revitalisation of Kirrawee brick pit into a great residential, retail and parkland precinct’’.

Mr Sullivan said it would deliver a superior development for buyers, shoppers and the community compared with the original approval.

The next step was for the company to prepare and lodge a development application with the council. 

Work is expected to start in the final quarter of this year, subject to approval. Construction is expected to take about 2 years. 

Mr Sullivan said marketing and sales would commence once all approvals were received.

BLAME GAME

Mayor Kent Johns blasted the previous Labor government and Miranda MP Barry Collier for ‘‘the shire’s biggest development’’.

He said Labor sold the former Sydney Water site, rezoned it and established the Part 3A planning process, which sidelined the council.

‘‘As such Barry Collier, the Labor government’s representative in this area, has to take sole responsibility for the biggest development the area has ever seen,’’ he said.

Mr Collier said he helped develop the earlier Kirrawee Master Plan, which was prepared by the state government and the council with community consultation.

He had made it clear to former planning minister Frank Sartor he supported the earlier plan.

Mr Collier did not defend the Part 3A process, which was abolished when the Coalition government won office.

What other changes with public benefit could be sought by the council?

EARLIER STORY FEBRUARY 2:

The Planning Assessment Commission has approved an ‘‘upsizing’’ of the Kirrawee brick pit development subject to seven conditions.

In its determination released today, the commission said it was satisfied ‘‘issues’’ identified during consideration of the proposed modifications to the concept plan had been ‘‘adequately addressed’’.

The $350 million Payce development will include 749 apartments, shopping centre and commercial offices.

This compares with 432 homes proposed in the original  concept plan, approved by the commission in 2012.

The Department of Planning and Environment recommended the changes be approved subject to conditions.

Sutherland Shire Council opposed the modifications as it did the original concept plan.

Conditions imposed by the commission included:

1) Revised urban design, including increased density and redistribution of building heights.

2) The need to secure community benefits by way of a voluntary planning agreement.

3) Timing of delivery of the public park.

4) The provision of detailed landscape designs for the park and public domain.

5) Inclusion of water sensitive urban design requirements for the public domain.

6) Maximisation of passive surveillance opportunities.

WHAT HAS BEEN APPROVED

■ 749 apartments, spread over seven buildings of between six and 14 storeys, all within the previously approved 50 metres height.

■ The apartments will be a mix of one, two and three bedrooms.

■ The design ‘‘moves away from the large retail box design to incorporate a more open high street character with new streets and additional pedestrian walkways and thoroughfares’’.

■ There is an extra 4000 square metre in public domain, bringing the total open space and public domain area to 53 per cent of the site.

■ In addition to 4200 square metres of public plaza, there will be a 9000 square metres park, with pond and children’s playground, accessible to the wider community.

Take a spin around the Brick Pit site with Google Streetview:

Do you agree with the commission’s decision?

Comments