VIDEO | Flooding from burst water main closes King Georges Road at Hurstville

UPDATE 4:40pm: King Georges Road is still closed between the Princes Highway and Woniora Road. Traffic is heavy and drivers should avoid the area.

Update 2pm:

Around 35 people have been evacuated after a broken water main caused a gas main to rupture.

A Sydney Water spokeswoman said their first priority was to make the area safe. 

‘’We have isolated the water main to ensure emergency services can respond as required. We will then repair the pipe and restore the road to its previous condition.

‘’Given the location of the break and the size of the main, the repairs may take some time – we’ll do our best to minimise the impacts of this and will keep the community updated while we do so.’’

She said that water to homes will not be cut off but up to 100 properties may have lower than normal pressure until the repairs are complete.

The broken pipe is the Woronora Pipeline – it is 1200 mm wide and travels between Woronora Dam and Penshurst.


A burst water main has caused chaos in Hurstville today blocking off roads and flooding houses.

Emergency services were called to the corner of King Georges Road and Hillcrest Avenue at around 10am.

The flooding has forced the closure of King Georges Road in both directions between O'Connells Point Road and Woniora Road.

Emergency services remain on the scene with more Sydney Water crews expected.

Police are directing traffic along with Roads and Maritime Services crews.

One neighbour, who didn’t want to be named, said the problem began a week ago when a leak sprung near the intersection.

He slammed Sydney Water and said nothing was done until the main burst sending thousands of litres of water down the road.

However, a Sydney Water spokesperson said they only received reports of a minor leak on Friday.

That leak was investigated within an hour and was added to the repairs schedule. 

Due to the location planned repairs needed to be done at night and approvals were needed.

Another neighbour said the burst would devastate locals with homes flooded along Hillcrest Avenue.

Connells Point resident Jeff Collins saw caught the aftermath of the burst water main as it spilled into the Georges River and started moving rapidly upstream in a thick brown slick.

Mr Collins, who lives in Queens Road, first noticed the slick engulfing the river around 11am.

“It’s a large orange- brown sludge moving up the river,” he said. “I thought it was sewage.

“It’s pouring out of the drains under Morhead Drive

“I’ve lived here for 20 years and I’ve never seen anything like before. It’s moving fast, probably about  three knots.”

Myanna Wedes and her father Patrick went along Denman Street to warn residents, many who had no idea the main had burst.

‘’We just couldn’t believe our eyes. It was running like a river,’’ she said.

‘’Just in one Denman Street backyard the water would have got as high as three metres.

‘’I just really feel for the neighbours.’’

Sydney Water are currently on-site making repairs and traffic diversions are in place.

Georges River Council staff are assisting Sydney Water by providing barricades and general assistance in relation to the road closure at the intersection of Hillcrest Avenue and King Georges Road, Hurstville Grove.