The Prince Hotel in Sutherland Shire was named the 2017 Hotel of the Year at last night’s AHA NSW Awards for Excellence.
The venue took out the top honour at a gala awards ceremony at The Star Event Centre in front of a crowd of about 1200 industry and business leaders.
The Prince, in Kirrawee, had a big night winning Hotel of the Year – City as well as Best Family Friendly Hotel, Best New / Re-developed Hotel and Best Casual Dining Venue Southern.
The Headlands Austinmer Beach in the Illawarra won Hotel of the Year – Country.
More than 600 nominations were received for the Awards across a record 50 categories.
AHA NSW CEO John Whelan said the annual awards night was about recognising the effort the state’s venues and their 75,000 staff members put in each and every day.
“The Awards for Excellence recognises the best and brightest in the NSW hotel industry – it’s also a chance for hard-working publicans and their teams to celebrate all they’ve achieved over the last year,” Mr Whelan said.
More to come
Last night’s winners included:
- Best Bush Pub: Silverton Hotel
- Best Traditional Hotel Bar – Country: The Rutherford Hotel
- Best Traditional Hotel Bar – City: The Rose of Australia, Erskineville
- Chef of the Year – City: Chris Bell, The Rose of Australia, Erskineville
- Chef of the Year – Country: Andrew Macartney, Seabreeze, Nelson Bay
- Best draught beer: The Lakes Hotel, The Entrance
- Best wine list: The Dolphin, Surry Hills
- Best retail liquor outlet: Warners At The Bay, Warners Bay
- Individual hotel operator: Alistair Flower, Settlers Inn, Port Macquarie
- Best outdoor experience - City: Watsons Bay Boutique Hotel
- Best Burger Country: Oxford Hotel, Bathurst
- Best Burger City: Union Hotel, North Sydney
- Best steak sandwich: The Winston, Winston Hills
- Best innovative refurbishment: Glasshouse, Hotel Steyne, Manly
- Best new/re-developed hotel (country): Public House, Albury
- Heart of the Community: Settlers Inn, Port Macquarie
- Best restaurant (country): Graze At The Willow Tree Inn, Willow Tree
- Best restaurant (city): Bistro Moncur, Woollahra Hotel
- Best steak venue: The Oaks, Neutral Bay
- Bartender of the Year: Henry Hammersla, The Clock, Surry Hills
- Best live music: Cambridge Hotel, Newcastle West
- Best sports bar: Gregory Hills Hotel
- Best pub-style accommodation (traditional): Seabreeze, Nelson Bay
- Best group hotel operator of the year: Solotel
- Best cocktail/lounge bar: Junk Lounge, Cruise Bar, CBD