Strike force detectives have charged a man over a shooting on Bexley Road, Earlwood, and another man with being an accessory to murder after searching a Sans Souci home.
Police allege the matters are linked to the 2017 shooting death of Chinese national Qin Wu, 37, in a Guildford house that was being used as a Buddhist temple.
Up till this week, Strike Force Buttle detectives had charged six men, including a 20-year-old man, have been charged over their alleged roles in the murder and are before the courts.
Two people have been charged over the 2017 murder of a man in Guildford. Qin Wu was shot dead at a home in Kennedy Street in February last year. A 21-year-old man was arrested at a Guildford home yesterday and charged with murder. He'll appear in court next week. #7Newspic.twitter.com/35MyzbpUuf— 7 News Sydney (@7NewsSydney) July 12, 2018
“During the course of the investigation, strike force detectives became aware of a shooting on Bexley Road, Earlwood, on Monday, January 23, 2017, which they allege is linked,” a police spokesman said.
“Following further inquiries, the now 21-year-old man was arrested at a home at Guildford just after 7.30am on Thursday.
“He was taken to Granville Police Station and charged with murder and two counts of shoot at with intent to murder.
“The man was refused bail and appeared at Parramatta Local Court, where he was formally refused bail to re-appear at the same court on Monday July 16.
“Strike Force Buttle investigators also executed a crime scene warrant at a home at Sans Souci, where they conducted a number of forensic examinations.
“A 49-year-old man was arrested at the home and taken to Kogarah Police Station.
“He was charged with accessory after the fact to murder and refused bail to appear at Sutherland Local Court later today (Friday).”
Homicide Squad commander, Detective Superintendent Scott Cook, said investigations into the shootings were continuing.
“Strike Force Buttle detectives established Mr Wu was not the intended target, rather, he was shot when he intervened in an argument between his friend and others at the home,” Detective Superintendent Cook said.
“We believe the argument related to a drug debt and while exploring that line of inquiry, we determined this shooting was connected to the attempt to shoot Mr Wu’s friend at Earlwood the week before.
“Given the circumstances, it is likely the shootings are motivated by a contract – an offer of money to murder – and we are continuing to investigate who may have issued the contract.
“The people of NSW will not tolerate acts of violence, particularly where there is a total disregard for the safety of law-abiding members of the community.
“This incident demonstrates how quickly a situation can escalate out of control and why even one firearm in the hands of the wrong person is dangerous.
“Investigations under Strike Force Buttle are continuing and further arrests are expected,” Det Supt Cook said.