A visit to the showbag pavilion is at the top of the to-do list for many showgoers and today’s showbag launch gave some excited kids a sneak-peek at what’s in store at the 2019 Sydney Royal Easter Show.
The task of sampling a whopping 358 showbags was a thrilling challenge for the official Sydney Royal showbag testing team, made up of 60 children from The Children’s Hospital at Randwick, Westmead Children’s Hospital and Royal Far West.
Lilliana Wehbe, aged seven, made a beeline for any bag with a unicorn.
She said she loves art and ended up with a colour-coordinated set of toys, clothes and art supplies in her favourite colours: pink, blue and purple.
The most expensive bags at the show will cost $40 but Shane McGrath, who oversees the showbag program, said 130 bags cost $10 or less.
"There are some great bargains to be had," he said.
“Whether you go for the crowd favourite Bertie Beetle bag, or have a keen eye for fashion or video games, we have something for everyone, the young and young at heart.
“We expect new showbags Hatchimals and Jurassic World to be incredibly popular with the kids this year.”
Murray Wilton, the show's general manager, said the testing day was his favourite day of the show's program.
"We love it, and we want you to enjoy yourselves," Mr Wilton told the assembled testers.
"You are surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of showbags. There are 358 showbags at the show this year. You're going to have the opportunity to test them, so you're very important to us.
"We need you to test out the contents and show us what's inside."
The children wasted no time following Mr Wilton's instructions, racing to their favourite showbags.
This year’s Top 10 bags (in no particular order) are:
- Hatchimals ($28)
- Darrell Lea Pig Out ($20)
- Paw Patrol ($28)
- Smarties ($15)
- Riverdale ($28)
- Ryan’s World ($28)
- Kinder Surprise ($10)
- Marie Claire magazine ($28)
- ROXY ($30)
- Jurassic World ($28)
The Top 5 $10 and under are:
- Candyworld 6 in 1 Bag ($10)
- Cadbury Caramello Koala ($5)
- Angry Birds Bag ($10)
- Bertie Beetle Blue ($2)
- Comic Collectors Bag 1 ($10)
Mr McGrath, along with the Sydney Royal Easter Show team, have put together their Top Three tips to help make the most of your visit and speed up the all-important selection process.
- Jump online at www.eastershow.com.au and plan - each of the showbags on offer is listed here, plus you can compile your own Showbag wish list to print out and bring along to the Show.
- Know your budget – with more than 119 showbags for $10 and under, there is a showbag to suit every family budget. You can still buy a showbag for just $2!
- Save the best until last – visit the showbag pavilion at the end of the day, so you don’t have to carry your selections around all day. Or if you can’t wait, hire a locker - there are some available just outside the showbag pavilion.
Mr McGrath recommends using the Easter Show website to help make savings across the board, with bargains not only to be had in the showbag pavilion.
“There are a number of great online savings to be made on tickets, carnival rides and food by using the Easter Show website and planning ahead of time,” he said.
On April 23, the last day of the Show (Kids’ Day), children can enjoy half price entry at $13.50.
Tickets can be purchased online, at Woolworths stores and at the gate during the Show.
The Show runs from April 12-23.