Alleged roof scamming operation targeting elderly in St George smashed

An alleged roof scamming operation targeting elderly residents in the St George area has been smashed.

A man has been extradited from Melbourne to Sydney to face charges relating to the scam.

The 20-year-old is one of three Irish nationals charged by Strike Force Denain, a St George Police Area Command investigation into a series of alleged frauds, targeting elderly home owners.

On Thursday, March 7 another 20-year-old Irish national, bound for the United Kingdom, was arrested at Sydney Airport by Australian Federal Police.

Police allegedly discovered large amounts of cash and jewellery in the arrested man’s luggage.

He was charged with aggravated break and enter and denied police bail.

St George detectives quickly established that an alleged scam was underway and was due to continue the next day at a home in Bexley.

It’s alleged the detectives contacted and warned the home owner, a 72-year-old man.

Following further inquiries, at 8.20pm on Saturday, March 9, police arrested a 22-year-old Irish national at Sydney Airport as he tried to board a flight to Qatar.

A search of his luggage allegedly uncovered a large amount of cash and jewellery.

He was charged with fraud and deal in proceeds of crime; and refused police bail.

Around 10am on Monday, March 11, a 20-year-old Irish national was arrested by Australian Federal Police at Melbourne’s Tullamarine airport as he tried to board a flight to Shanghai, China.

Kogarah detectives flew to Melbourne and late yesterday successfully applied for his extradition to NSW.

He was taken to Kogarah Police Station and charged with dishonestly obtain financial advantage by deception.

Refused bail, he is expected to appear today in the Sutherland Local Court.

The hunt for a fourth alleged offender is continuing.

St George police are now liaising with other commands and Victoria Police in relation to similar alleged fraud offences involving elderly victims.