Oh what at night at Kogarah: Sydney FC fire six past Victory and march into grand final

Football fans who made the effort to turn up to Netstrata Stadium at Kogarah on Sunday night to watch the Big Blue A-League semi-final between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory did not go home disappointed.

Sydney FC's new home in 2018-19 was the scene of a six goal demolition by the Sky Blues of last year's grand final winners.

The Sky Blues humiliated their oldest rivals and strolled into the grand final in the process.

The 6-1 scoreline at fulltime flattered Melbourne with Ola Toivonen scoring a late consolation goal for the Victory in the 91st minute and Sydney missing a couple of injury time chances which would have rubbed further salt into the wounds of Melbourne supporters.

The 12,141 crowd at Jubilee could not believe what they were witnessing with Sky Blues fans putting up the chant of "we want seven" as they watched their side destroy the reigning champions.

Sydney FC will now face off against Perth Glory in the Hyundai A-League 2019 Grand Final at Optus Stadium on Sunday, May 19 brimming with confidence.

They got off to the perfect start in the 50th edition of the Big Blue with Aaron Calver scoring in just the 3rd minute after the Melbourne Victory goalkeeper, Lawrence Thomas, fumbled a corner.

Sydney FC captain, Alex Brosque, doubled his team's lead with a volley from inside the box in the 43rd minute.

Just before the half-time whistle, Sydney FC's lead was extended to 3-0 when a Leigh Broxham headed in an own goal.

Sydney FC scored their fourth after Georg Niedermer fouled Adam Le Fondre in the box and a penalty was awarded. Adam Le Fondre then made no mistake from the spot.

Le Fondre then added to his tally in the 69th minute when he broke into the box and slotted the ball to the far post. Milos Ninkovic completed the scoring for the Sky Blues with a volley at the far post in the 88th minute.

Sydney FC captain Brosque said it was memorable win.

"It was a very special night tonight," he said.

"We are not a six goal better team than Victory but we just got everything right."

Fullback Ryan Grant said the Sky Blues wanted to go on with the job after working hard to establish a three goal lead at half-time.

"We knew if we started the second half sharply we could enjoy the game and see it out," he said.

"We wanted more goals - to come out and punish them - and we went and did that."

The rampaging Sky Blue victory set records for the biggest Big Blue win, their biggest finals victory and Victory's worst loss in a final.