Some of best greengrocers in Sydney hail from St George and Sutherland Shire, as several foodies have been named finalists in the Sydney Markets 2019 Fresh Awards.
The awards celebrate best practice and excellence in the fresh produce industry.
This year there are 60 greengrocers, florists, growers, wholesalers and bloggers across 15 award categories vying to be crowned the winners at a gala dinner held on July 24 at The Star.
The retailers and growers are evaluated through an intensive mystery shopping program and industry assessment.
They are judged on everything from produce quality and freshness, customer service and industry knowledge, as well as their store appearance and innovative approaches.
Chief executive of Sydney Markets, Brad Latham, says the awards shine a light on the achievements of business owners, talent and the fresh industry as a whole.
"These businesses work tirelessly to provide their customers and communities with fresh, locally sourced produce and they deserve to be recognised for their excellence," he said.
Awards manager Sue Dodd says there is a stellar-line up of businesses and bloggers this year.
"Small businesses are [also] constantly adapting and implementing new strategies to meet the evolving needs of modern consumers," she said.
- Fruiticious, Gymea - Greengrocer Best Small Business
- Kareela Grocer - Greengrocer Best Medium Business
- Best Fresh Grocer, Caringbah - Greengrocer Best Large Business, Service Excellence Award and Retail Presentation Award
- Cronulla Gourmet Grocer, Cronulla - Greengrocer Retail Presentation Award
- Kareela Grocer - Greengrocer Retail Presentation Award
- B&M Florist, Monterey - Florist Retail Excellence Award, Merchandising and Branding Award
- Katrina Kallos, for Mulberry Pomegranate, Kogarah, - Blogger of the Year