Brighton manhunt after property developer stabbed to death on St Peters building site, son critical

A man remains on the run after an alleged stabbing at a construction site in St Peters. Picture: 9News
A man remains on the run after an alleged stabbing at a construction site in St Peters. Picture: 9News

A murder suspect is on the run and could be hiding out in the St George area.

The suspect - a 49-year-old - is still at large and is believed to have hitched a ride to Brighton-Le-Sands.

He is wanted in relation to a double stabbing at a St Peters construction site where a 76-year-old man was killed and his 33-year-old son critically wounded.

Albert Metledge was stabbed to death and his son, Antony, was left with a knife sticking out of his back, after a labourer allegedly came at them on the site of a 90-unit residential development owned by the pair in Short Street, St Peters.

Mr Metledge was unable to be revived at the scene, while his son was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in a critical condition to undergo surgery.

Critical condition: Antony Metledge is fighting for his life in hospital after he was stabbed at St Peters this afternoon. Pictures: Facebook

Critical condition: Antony Metledge is fighting for his life in hospital after he was stabbed at St Peters this afternoon. Pictures: Facebook

On Wednesday evening a large manhunt was underway for the alleged attacker who quickly fled the site by hitching a ride to Brighton.

Police are conducting a large search operation to locate the suspect, a Russian national. He is described as being of Caucasian appearance, about 180 centimetres tall, with a large build and a shaved head.

He was last seen wearing a blue T-shirt, long blue work pants and brown work boots and may be carrying a construction helmet and a high-vis shirt.

"Do not approach the man. If you see this man, contact triple zero. We believe he is capable of a violent act," NSW Police Inspector Chad Deegenaars said, adding that the man was known to police and did not have a "fixed address".

More than 50 police were deployed in search of the man on Wednesday, including officers from all central metropolitan police area commands, the police dog unit, police air wing and public order and riot units.

Workers at the construction site downed tools on Wednesday afternoon when they heard cries for help from the basement level of the development about 1pm.

The attack on the pair was "not random", police confirmed.

Police at the scene of the attack in St Peters in which property developer Albert Metledge was stabbed to death and his son Antony was critically injured. Picture: Renee Nowytarger

Police at the scene of the attack in St Peters in which property developer Albert Metledge was stabbed to death and his son Antony was critically injured. Picture: Renee Nowytarger

Family members and loved ones who arrived at the scene had been greeted with "the worst news anyone can hear," Insp Deegenaars said.

"It's a very traumatic incident," he said.

"It's traumatic for the family, for the co-workers and for the police and emergency services who respond.

"We've been given great assistance from the other workers here. Obviously it's upsetting for the family, but everyone is assisting."

The suspect is known to the two victims but a motive was yet to be established.