Planned Australia Day fireworks in the Menai district have been called off because of the bushfire risk.
Fireworks at the Cronulla event will go ahead, subject to approval from emergency services.
The cancellation of the fireworks display at Blaxland Oval, Illawong was announced on Wednesday by mayor Carmelo Pesce and deputy mayor Steve Simpson.
They said, with much of the state continuing to face heightened risk of bushfire, it was vital that both the concerns of the community and the safety of event attendees, contractors and staff were taken into account.
"As the Menai District Australia Day festivities traditionally take place in Illawong, in close proximity to bushland, it has been decided that our fireworks will not go ahead and all funds set aside for the display will be donated to our local Rural Fire Service to aid continued firefighting and recovery efforts," Cr Pesce said.
"With a jam-packed lineup of outstanding family entertainment still on offer at our Menai Australia Day event, we encourage people to come along between 4pm and 9pm to enjoy a huge array of activities ranging from thong throwing to a circus, all in the name of raising much needed funds for important causes."
Cr Pesce said the traditional fireworks display at Cronulla's Australia Day celebrations were still scheduled to go ahead, subject to approval from emergency service authorities.
"As these fireworks are to be launched over water from a barge in Bate Bay they posed minimal bushfire risk," he said.
"However, council will continue to seek the guidance of emergency services experts in assessing risks in the lead up to the event."
Both the Cronulla and Menai event sites will be Alcohol Free zones.
Public transport is recommended for people attending the Cronulla celebration.
Entertainment at Cronulla will take place over two days - Sunday and Monday, headed by Casey Donovan, Busby Marou and Caravana.
The finalised programs are:
Cronulla beach - Australia Day
- 1pm - 1.30pm, Kirrawee High Jazz Orchestra.
- 1.45pm - 2.30pm, Kim Sheehy.
- 2.45pm - 4pm, Engadine & Miranda Musical Societies.
- 4.15pm - 5.15pm, Royal Australian Navy Band.
- 5.30pm - 5.45pm, Official proceedings.
- 6pm - 6.45pm, Caravana Sun.
- 7pm - 8pm, Busby Marou.
- 8.15pm - 9pm, Casey Donovan.
- 9pm, Fireworks - subject to approval from emergency services.
Cronulla beach Shire Vibes Program, Monday, January 27
- 3.30pm - 3.55pm, Jordan Kenny.
- 4pm - 4.30pm, Dimi Poulous.
- 4.45pm - 5.15pm, Dylan Wright.
- 5.30pm - 6.15pm, Clay Western.
- 6.30pm - 7.15pm, Evie J Willie.
- 7.30pm - 8.30pm, Jackson Carroll.
Menai District, Australia Day
- 4pm - 5pm, Danielle Lamb.
- 5pm - 5.30pm, Official proceedings / ANSTO Science Show
- 5.30pm - 7pm, Funk Soul Brothers Show.
- 7pm - 7.30pm, ANSTO Science Show.
- 7pm - 9pm, Joseph Calderazzo and band.
- 9pm, See Council website for details.