Premier says NSW will have to go further if restrictions don't lower coronavirus figures


Premier Gladys Berejiklian. Picture: ABC News

Premier Gladys Berejiklian. Picture: ABC News


A further two children under 10 have tested positive to COVID-19, bringing the total in that age group to four.

NSW Health said a one-year-old girl, whose parent is a confirmed case and a two-year-old girl who acquired the infection overseas, had both already been in isolation with family, and had mild symptoms.

A midwife at St George Hospital is among others to have tested positive.


"There are 121 confirmed cases in NSW who were on board the Ruby Princess and 31 from the Ovation of the Seas cruise ship," the NSW Health statement said.

"A Qantas charter flight from Honolulu arrived in Sydney Airport overnight to repatriate 292 passengers who were on the Norwegian Jewel. The boat has been at sea with no landing and with no one coming onto the ship for three weeks.

"While the ship has reported no acute respiratory illness on board, the NSW Health International airport screening team screened all of the passengers on arrival.

"Five passengers with symptoms were transferred to hospital for COVID-19 testing and isolation. The remaining well passengers were transferred to a Sydney hotel to be in self-isolation for 14 days."


Premier Gladys Berejiklian has warned tighter lockdown measures may be necessary, but there is no needs for panic buying.

The number of coronavirus cases in NSW increased by 190 to 1219 cases in the last 24-hour period.

In a little ray of sunshine, the increase was 10 per cent down on the 211 cases recorded the previous day.

Ms Berejiklian said said if numbers did not drop as a result of new restrictions, "NSW will have to go further".

"There is no need to panic. Supermarkets and essential things will always be available for people to obtain."

Ms Berejiklian said no more passengers would be getting off a cruise ship in NSW "until we get a tick off from all authorities of the new protocols.

NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said she expected numbers to increase as more people arrive back from overseas.