Four new coronavirus cases in NSW include three overseas travellers

The drive-through testing clinic at Sutherland. Picture: John Veage
The drive-through testing clinic at Sutherland. Picture: John Veage

NSW has recorded four new cases of coronavirus, including a pupil at Lane Cove West Public School and three returned travellers, who are in hotel isolation.

The latest figures, for the 24 hours up until 8pm on Wednesday, mean that over the last 12 days only three cases unrelated to overseas travel have been recorded in NSW.

A case from south-western Sydney has been excluded.

A NSW Health spokeswoman said the case of the student at Lane Cove West Public School was under investigation, and all close contacts were being contacted and isolated.

The school was closed on Thursday for a deep clean.

A total of 17,175 tests were carried out in the 24 hours up until 8pm on Wednesday, compared with 13,278 tests in the previous 24 hours.

More than three quarters of a million COVID-19 tests have now been carried out in NSW.

NSW Health announced the death in April of an 85-year-old man has been reclassified as COVID-19 related.

The change follows new national guidance on the classification of deaths and means NSW has now recorded 51 deaths from COVID-19.

The man was a resident of Opal Aged Care, Bankstown, and was diagnosed with COVID-19 on 7 April.

He passed away on 27 April after two negative swabs had been recorded.

NSW Health is strongly discouraging travel to and from areas of Victoria where there have been COVID-19 outbreaks until control of community transmission has been confirmed.

This follows advice of the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee,

The Victorian Government has identified the local government areas of Hume, Casey, Brimbank, Moreland, Cardinia and Darebin as the focus of current outbreaks of concern.

There are also locally acquired cases of COVID-19 reported from other areas of metropolitan Melbourne, so we urge anyone who is planning to visit Victoria to keep up to date with NSW Health and Victorian Health travel advisories.

NSW Health says anyone who returns from Melbourne hotspots, including NSW residents, should not attend aged care facilities, hospitals, or other settings with vulnerable people, and should avoid gatherings outside of their immediate household for a period of 14 days.

WANT MORE LOCAL NEWS?

SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER