Householders warned to be vigilant after house fires at Alfords Point and Arncliffe

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesperson stressed the importance of remaining vigilant and following instructions when using wheat bags and not leaving cooking unattended. Picture: Supplied

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesperson stressed the importance of remaining vigilant and following instructions when using wheat bags and not leaving cooking unattended. Picture: Supplied

Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Menai and Riverwood Fire Stations attended a home on Brushwood Drive, Alfords Point today after receiving triple zero call from the occupant reporting smoke throughout the house.

The occupant was unsure of the source of the fire and was advised to evacuate.

On arrival, firefighters found a wheat-filled heat pack smouldering in the microwave.

Crews ventilated the house and were clear from the scene at approximately 12:45pm.

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesperson stressed the importance of remaining vigilant and following instructions when using wheat bags.

"Firefighters have responded to numerous residential fires caused by wheat bags overheating in the microwave or wheat bags being used in beds. If your wheat bag begins to smolder or catches fire, call Triple Zero (000) immediately."

Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Arncliffe and Kogarah Fire Stations were called to a house on Spring Street, Arncliffe last night after a Triple Zero (000) call was received reporting a house fire.

Crews arrived to the scene in minutes to find that a kitchen fire had occurred due to food being left on the stove.

Two males were treated for burns after attempting to extinguish the fire themselves. They were taken to hospital by NSW Ambulance for treatment.

The leading cause of home fires is unattended cooking. Don't add to this statistic. Stay in the kitchen while cooking and turn off the stove before you leave.

Never use water to put out a fat or oil fire. If a fire in your kitchen becomes unmanageable - get out, stay out and call Triple Zero.

WANT MORE LOCAL NEWS?

SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER