Albury's Eliza Ault-Connell will contest the Tokyo Paralympics

TOKYO BOUND: Wheelchair racer Eliza Ault-Connell was confirmed in the Australian team yesterday for the 2021 Paralympics. Picture: MARK JESSER
TOKYO BOUND: Wheelchair racer Eliza Ault-Connell was confirmed in the Australian team yesterday for the 2021 Paralympics. Picture: MARK JESSER

Albury wheelchair racer Eliza Ault-Connell is off to the Paralympics.

The 38-year-old was one of the para athletes named at 8am on Monday morning for Tokyo.

"It's a relief and it's fantastic to be through, but now the really hard work begins," she said.

"We've put in a lot of hard work over the last two years, but now is the time to convert all that hard work into that .1 percent to get across that line with a gold medal finish."

It will be Ault-Connell's second paralympics after Athens in 2004, prior to having three children.

"I don't thick anyone knows quite what to call me, whether they call me a newcomer or a veteran athlete," she laughed.

What she is though is tough after losing her legs to meningococcal disease as a teenager.

And Ault-Connell has set herself a gruelling program for Tokyo, although the final events are yet to be confirmed.

"Best-case scenario, I'd really like to have a crack in the 400m, 800, 1500, 5000 and marathon and if we can include the 100 in that, that would be a bonus," she said.

Ault-Connell claimed 400m bronze at last year's World Championships.

"That's my favourite event because it's an all-out sprint, there's no drafting, it's essentially the closest to a time trial that we can get," she said.

Ault-Connell will train in Canberra and block out the disruptions of COVID-19 after it forced the cancellation of this year's Paralympics.

"If we focus on the positives rather than negatives, it's amazing how much better things look."

This story Eliza Ault-Connell says hard work starts after Paralympic selection first appeared on The Border Mail.