The Caringbah War Memorial is steeped in history.
Originally designed as a public drinking fountain, the memorial was gifted to Sutherland Shire community in 1935 by Amy Mackay, a long term Port Hacking resident and wife of renowned Australian explorer and adventurer Donald George Mackay.
The NSW War memorials Register says records stated: "The fountain provides separate drinking facilities for humans, horses, dogs, and birds, while a step has been built to enable small children to reach the bubblers.
"Materials used were variegated local sandstone, mostly rock-faced, for the flagging, fountain, and seats, while the bowls and horse-troughs were cast in concrete, using pink marble chips for the aggregate."
Records from a Sutherland Shire Council general committee meeting on June 26, 1972 reveal a proposal was made to the council encouraging the construction of a park at the intersection of President Avenue, Port Hacking Road South and The Kingsway in Caringbah.
The park design involved relocating the War Memorial to the Port Hacking Road end of the park, with a structural redesign, enabling the face of the memorial to appear open to the whole park.
Additional structural recommendations for the site included garden beds and ornamental tree planting, grassed areas and a new footpath.
The record from 1972 also states that Anzac Day Services had been held in this area, with the suggested park development thought to provide ample space for service attendees.
Council records indicate the project was completed between July 1972 and late April 1973.
Sutherland Library hosts a number of historic photographs of the Caringbah Memorial and Sutherland Shire locale, which residents can access via: localhistory.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov.au/
- Information: Sutherland Shire Council