PHOTOS

Opening of the Tom Uglys Bridge duplication in 1987 a huge community event,

Fifty odd years ago, road authorities believed a flyover was needed at the intersection of Princes Highway and King Georges Road, Blakehurst, to ease traffic congestion.

The project was included in a program of proposed traffic works in a letter from the Commissioner for Motor Transport , Mr D R Coleman, to Kogarah Council in 1968.

Under the plans, the flyover would carry south-bound traffic from King Georges Road across the intersection to join south-bound lanes of the highway.

Mr Coleman said other major steps that would have to be taken were the duplication of Tom Uglys Bridge and a new bridge over Georges River at Mickeys Point (Alfords Point).

The flyover never eventuated, but the $5 million Alfords Point Bridge was opened in 1973 and a second Tom Uglys Bridge completed in 1987.

The opening of the Tom Uglys Bridge duplication was a huge community event, with more than 12,000 people turning out to witness history being made.

Completion of the $14.2 million project ended the two-way traffic arrangement, which had operated on the original bridge from its opening in 1929.

The big event on Saturday, October 17, 1987, started with speeches in the grounds of Sylvania Public School before an official procession and community walk led by the Sutherland Shire Silver Band.

Premier Barrie Unsworth and Public Works Minister Laurie Brereton, travelled in a motorcade of vintage cars and unveiled a plaque and cut a ribbon at the northern end of the bridge.

WANT MORE LOCAL NEWS?

SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER