It's been a tough year for many community groups, with coronavirus severely disrupting their normal activities and fund-raising ability.
As a result, the distribution of funds from the state government's annual Community Partnership Grants Program will probably be more helpful and appreciated than ever.
More than 40 organisations in Sutherland Shire were awarded grants.
The largest allocation in the shire of $50,000 went to the P&C at Laguna Street Public School, Caringbah to cover walkways between buildings.
This community endured a particularly tough time in June when their school was shut for 10 days after a staff member, who had close contact with most pupils, tested positive to coronavirus. Contact tracing failed to identify the source.
The shutdown not only caused great anxiety but also meant a lot of further juggling by staff and parents, who had already dealt with months of home schooling.
Georges River Football Club received the second largest grant of $43,101 to upgrade its clubhouse at Oyster Bay Oval.
Each electorate in NSW is allocated a maximum of $300,000, and the average grant is about $20,000.
The successful projects, which were announced by MPs Mark Speakman, Eleni Petinos, Lee Evans and Melanie Gibbons, include:
- Laguna Street Public School P&C, covered walkways, $50,000.
- Burraneer Bay Public School P&C, refurbish K-2 outdoor learning areas, $40,000.
- Woolooware High School P&C, renovate multi-purpose hall, $35,000.
- Grays Point Public School P&C, renovate community kitchen, $28,000.
- Kurnell Public School P&C, shaded student seating for sports oval, $25,000.
- Woolooware Public School P&C, playground for everyone, $25,000.
- Gymea Bay Public School P&C, sustainable outdoor learning space, $24,000.
- Caringbah High School P&C, school hall roll out staging and under stage storage, $23,200.
- Civic Disability Services, purchase equipment to increase local employment opportunities, $20,000.
- Cronulla Sutherland Water Polo Club, new scoreboard, $12,000.
- Cronulla Sutherland Baseball Club, batting facility upgrade, $10,000.
- Jacaranda Preschool, water tank for sustainability gardens, $5000.
- Port Hacking Outrigger Club, new canoe, $2800.
- Miranda Kindergarten Association, installation of saucer swing, $6000.
- Sylvania Heights Public School P&C, school/community hall and canteen upgrade, $30,261.
- Georges River Football Club, clubhouse upgrade and solar panels, $43,101.
- Endeavour Sports High School P&C, basketball play area upgrade, $15,527.
- Jannali East Public School P&C, playground improvement, $30,000.
- Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect), cabinets for Aspect SES School for Children with Autism (Kareela), $13,750.
- Scout Association, 1st Wearne Bay Sea Scouts, Illawong, hall upgrade and repairs, $30,000.
- Jannali Preschool Kindergarten, fantastic fort, $25,729.
- Sutherland Astronomical Society, Green Point observatory roof repair, $13,750.
- St Michael's Antiochian Orthodox Church, Kirrawee, child safe gates, $2750.
- Alfords Point Public School P&C, refurbish outdoor education space, $25,000.
- Miranda Congregational Church, building upgrade, $12,998.
- St Catherine Laboure Catholic Parish, Gymea, purchase of people mover to transport poor, elderly, youth, $37,000.
- Bonnet Bay Summer Sports Club, upgrade clubhouse, $14,134.
- Hope Community Church, Menai. Urgent replacement of outdoor equipment for community playtime Group, $4558.
- Loftus P&C, nature play area, $30,000.
- Coalcliff Surf Lifesaving Club, IRB hull, $10,000.
- Garie Surf Life Saving Club, IRB, $22,176.
- Engadine Preschool Kindergarten, refurbishment of kitchen, $22,948.
- Boys' Town, Engadine, Ride Along With Us, $9950.
- Marton Public School P&C, sun smart outside play and learning area $31,000.
- Sutherland Uniting Church, replacement of box gutters and carpet, $27,000.
- Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect), electronic sign for Aspect SES School (Loftus), $20,000.
- Yarrawarrah Tigers Junior Baseball Club, batting cage, $30,000.
- Australian Air League Sutherland Shire Squadron, new female bathroom and refurbishment of existing bathroom, $22,000.
- PCYC Sutherland, new automatic doors, $30,000.
- Church of Christ Engadine (Connect Church Engadine) solar system renewable energy and air-conditioning, $33,820.
- Engadine Crusaders Football Club, store room safety, $5000.
Holsworthy electorate (shire)
- Illawong Baseball Club, refurbish Barden Ridge Oval baseball diamond & construct pitching bullpen, $26,000.
- Menai Men's Shed, table saw, $7500.
- Menai Bush Fire Brigade, little ed fire truck, $15,000.