A man in his 90s has died at St George Hospital - one of eight people who had COVID-19 who died in the 24 hours to 8pm last night.
The death of the man, from south-eastern Sydney, was announced at the NSW COVID-19 press conference, where NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said there had been another 1220 cases of community transmission in the 24 hours to 8pm last night.
Of those, 89 are from South Eastern Sydney Local Health District, which includes St George and Sutherland Shire.
NSW Health said there had been 139 COVID-related deaths from the Delta outbreak since the first case was detected in NSW on June 16.
There are currently 1151 COVID-19 cases in hospital, with 192 people in intensive care,
75 of whom require ventilation.
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said those who were critically ill represented "all age groups".
Ms Berejiklian said more than 74 per cent of eligible NSW residents had received a first jab, and read out a roll call of areas where higher levels of vaccination had been achieved.
She said many "hotspot" areas of concern had first-dose vaccination rates above 80 per cent.
But this is not the case in local government areas of concern here, such as Bayside and Georges River, which is yet to reach that level of vaccination.
Pauline Deweerd, the executive director of Aboriginal Health at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney, implored Aboriginal people to get vaccinated.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.