A dividing line between St George and Sutherland has now been removed with the reopening of the iconic Como Bridge.
The Oatley-Como crossing closure was requested by Sutherland Shire Council last month, and supported by local police, following concerns residents from the COVID lockdown areas of Georges River and Canterbury-Bankstown were using the bridge to enter the shire.
However, with restrictions now easing in the 12 local government areas of concern, Sydney Water has announced that the bridge has been reopened.
A Sydney Water spokesman said the bridge was reopened immediately.
"Sydney's hotspot local government areas will have the same outdoor gathering rules as the rest of the city from Monday paving the way for the opening of the bridge which was shut following a request by local councils on August 5," he said.
"The request, supported by local police, rail and health officials was made following public health concerns around social distancing and the large number of people using the popular walkway.
"Sydney Water met with local government representatives, recommending the bridge be immediately reopened.
"All signage will be immediately removed."
The bridge closure drew harsh criticism at the time with comments on the Leader Facebook page calling the move 'divisive' and an 'over-reaction'.
Sutherland Shire mayor Steve Simpson said the closure of the Oatley-Como bridge was ''not about 'us and them' - it's nothing but a preventative safety measure".
"Police agreed it would be appropriate for the bridge to be closed," he said.
"It was done in consultation with police and NSW Health."
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.