Cinema Under the Stars, which has proved popular in the past, is returning to Sutherland Shire with family movies at five outdoor locations over the next few weeks.
Screenings will take place at 5pm and 7pm in Cooper Street Reserve, Engadine; Biddy Giles Park at South Village, Kirrawee; Scylla Bay Oval, Como; Parc Menai, Menai; and Marton Reserve, Kurnell.
Sutherland Shire Council is staging the free entertainment, which starts on Australia Day and runs until February 19.
The council ran Cinema Under the Stars from 2005-15 in Cooper St Reserve Engadine.
A council report said, while it was very popular for many years, it was affected by weather due to its May timeslot, with only 80 attendees in 2015.
This, combined with the advent of movie streaming services such as Netflix and Foxtel in 2015, saw the cancellation of the event.
Families attending this year's movies will be offered free popcorn on arrival. They are encouraged to bring along picnic rugs and low chairs.
The program is:
Wednesday January 26
Cooper Street Reserve, Engadine
- 5.00pm: 'Sing' (G), 1hr 48min
- 7.00pm: 'Dolittle' (PG), 1hr 41min
Saturday January 29
Biddy Giles Park, Kirrawee
- 5.00pm: 'Tom & Jerry' (G), 1hr 41min
- 7.00pm: 'Mary Poppins Returns' (PG), 2hr 10min
Saturday February 5
Scylla Bay Oval, Como
- 5.00pm: 'Shark Tale' (G), 1hr 30min
- 7.00pm: 'How To Train Your Dragon' (PG), 1hr 38min
Saturday February 12
Parc Menai, Menai
- 5.00pm: 'Small Foot' (G), 1hr 38min
- 7.00pm: 'The War With Grandpa' (PG), 1hr 34min
Saturday February 19
Marton Reserve, Kurnell
- 5.00pm: 'Trolls World Tour' (G), 1hr 30min
- 7.00pm: 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' (PG), 1hr 55 minutes