Photos from the Leader's archives over the last six decades

2000s:  The community rose up in force to fight plans for an $8 million Coles supermarket and townhouse development in Oatley West.

Up to 1000 residents attended a No Coles rally and picnic, organised by the Oatley Residents Against Overdevelopment group, in September, 2005.

The picnic culminated in the formation of No Coles message by residents wearing specially made white T-shirts.

The organisers staged a similar protest when they successfully opposed a mobile phone tower in Oatley Park in 2003.

Hurstville Council received more than 400 individual objections to the Coles development proposal  and three petitions with 1469 signatures.

The development went ahead, but the supermarket was made less conspicuous.

1960s: Women office workers were given time off to attend the Secretarial Day sports carnival at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah.

The front page of the Leader on August 17, 1960, included a photo of business course students from St George Technical College "letting themselves go in a most unsecretarial manner as they cheer on team mates".

1970s:  A three-year-old Javan rusa doe, which escaped from Royal National Park in August, 1975, led rangers on a chase through Caringbah before being cornered in a narrow area between a PMG depot and the drive-in theatre and later released back into the national park.

1980s:  Thirty-four passengers aboard a Botany Bay Scenic Cruise ferry escaped unhurt in October, 1980, after the vessel hit a pylon of Captain Cook Bridge and took on water.

The accident, which happened about 10pm, left a one metre square hole in the bow of the 16-metre Lady Eucumbene.

The ferry was able to make it to a nearby wharf, where passengers clambered off before the vessel sank soon after. The bridge was undamaged. 

1990s:  Hundreds of red and white balloons were released at the official opening of a $50 million, eight-storey Ward Tower Block at St George Hospital in 1993.

The project fulfilled an election promise of the Greiner government, which came to power in 1988 claiming the hospital was run-down "and held together with chicken wire".

The block "provided accommodation for 400 patients in modern and comfortable rooms, featuring en-suite bathrooms, telephones and televisions".

There was also "a high technology, 15-bed intensive care ward and 30-bed cardiac and neurosurgery unit".