A fire that erupted inside a luxury waterfront property at Burraneer on Sunday night has reignited on Monday morning.
Fire and Rescue NSW was alerted to a fire at a residence on Goobarah Road at about 9.15pm on July 14. Crews were on scene within about five minutes, but returned a couple of hours later when flames sparked in the ceiling of a one bedroom storage garage attached to the house. The fire was contained to the roof space.
Six crews from Cronulla, Miranda, Sutherland, Kogarah and Arncliffe returned to the scene at about 10am on July 15, to extinguish flames that spread to two levels, causing extensive amounts of smoke to billow through the area.
The house was vacant but two people were assessed by ambulance crews on scene. One of those, a man in his 50s, was taken to Sutherland Hospital after being treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters also ensured two gas cylinders were protected.
Nearby resident, Sarah Burkitt, who lives opposite the house, says the blaze started upstairs on the right side of the property, and began to spread throught the residence.
"Extreme winds made the fire spread incredibly quickly," she said.
"Fire brigades were present but it took about 20 minutes for the fire to be extinguished."
The road remains closed and the property sustained significant structural damage. Neighbouring properties were not evacuated.
The fire is not being treated as suspicious but investigations are continuing.