The new $12 million rebuild of St George Sailing Club at Sans Souci is taking shape and on course to launch into a new era early next year.
This week Leader photographer John Veage took these shots of the work-in-progress.
When completed, the new development will include a single storey club with surrounding decks, jetty and pontoon and a separate single-storey building that will look like a row of quaint, old boatsheds for the storage of skiffs and small craft.
It will be a "modest, well-designed building" as described by the Bayside Council Planning Panel when it approved the club's development application in July, 2019.
The club said the new clubhouse will enhance the foreshore and celebrate the continuity of maritime activities in this location.
Founded in 1897, St George Sailing Club was originally located further along the Georges River, but was relocated eastward to make way for the construction of Captain Cook Bridge, which opened in 1965.
In 2010-11, the club went into administration following losses made by the licensed club.
It emerged from administration some months later as a satellite of the Manly 16ft Skiff Sailing Club.
The new club building will include sliding doors and bi-fold screens to the decks and verandahs that will have retractable sun shading and wind screening as required.
As one club supporter posted on the St George Sailing Club website: "We will go sit on that back deck when the sun's out in the late arvo with a nice breeze and a nice beverage or two."
The club is due to be completed in March 2022.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.