A young widow with two children is among home owners who are devastated their properties will be compulsorily acquired by the state government to enable a four-storey commuter car park to be built at Jannali.
Another family includes a young man living with Cerebral Palsy, who is able to maintain a high degree of independence because of his modified home and easy walk to the train station and shops.
Sutherland Shire mayor Steve Simpson told a street meeting of about 50 residents on Sunday night it was "a bastard act" and the council would offer to work with the government to identify a better site.
Nine homes need to be acquired for the car park on the western side of the station behind the commercial precinct and community centre, bounded by Mitchell Avenue, Mary Street and Victoria Street.
Residents in adjoining houses and new apartment blocks are also outraged because of the impact on their neighbours in the tight-knit community, as well as the devaluation of their own properties.
The first the owners of the properties to be acquired knew of the plan was when they received a knock on the door on Thursday morning last week.
The message they received left them in tears.
Nicole, who is bringing up her two sons, six and three, alone after the death of her husband, was on her way to school at 8.30am when a Transport for NSW representative arrived at their home.
"He said, 'There is no easy way to say this, but the government has identified this property as being needed for a car park'," Nicole said.
"I was told we have six months to negotiate an agreed price. If that doesn't happen, they will end negotiations and the government valuer will decide.
"Nine months will be the longest the process will take."
Nicole and her husband bought their home 10 years ago.
"Because it's a little house on a little block and close to the station, I can just manage," she said.
"To purchase anything similar will cost another $200,000, it will be a bigger property and it won't be as convenient.
"I can mow these lawns - imagine me trying to do it on a huge block of land."
Nicole would like Premier Gladys Berejiklian to visit her and her neighbours.
"During COVID, the Premier has presented a human side, which I have really appreciated, and I don't think she would support this action," Nicole said.
Ishpal, who is in his mid-20s and living with Cerebral Palsy, will also be displaced.
His parents bought their home five years ago with a view to the future of their son.
The house has been modified and this, together with the close proximity to shops and train station, gives Ishpal a high level of independence.
The family was shocked when two Transport for NSW representatives came to the door and said, "We have some really bad news for you".
"Everyone was crying," a family member said.
"They told us the business case was approved last year.
"I was given the impression they are in stage two of the project, not stage one as the website says."
Many residents in the area can't understand the logic of the decision.
They say the roads around the narrow bridge over the train line are already heavily congested during peak periods, and it would make more sense for the transport authority to continue negotiations with the council and Woolworths over the council owned car park behind the shopping centre even if it took longer.
Mayor Steve Simpson, who attended the street meeting with Cr Peter Scaysbrook, said council staff had assured him Transport for NSW had not given any forewarning of the move.
"I think it's a bastard act to take people's home like this," he said.
Cr Simpson said compulsory acquisition might be justified for a major project such as a new hospital or motorway, but a commuter car park did not fall into the essential category.
"We think we can offer them a better site," he said.
Cr Simpson said the election promise of a commuter car park appeared to be the driving force behind the move - not what would provide the best outcome.
"It comes down to a political decision," he said.